Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Stain of Guilt



Jeremiah 5:7 (NIV)

Why should I forgive you? Your children have forsaken and sworn by gods that are not gods. I supplied all their needs, yet the committed adultery and thronged to the houses of prostitutes……..Should I not punish them for this?” declares the Lord.

…Wow, what a holy ghost slap down. This description of the wickedness by the people of Judah and Jerusalem angered God because these people bowed down to worthless idols, refused to repent, and return to Him. The Lord challenged anyone to find one righteous person in Israel, but there were none. God was angry with the priest, prophets, and kings as well. All throughout the book, Jeremiah describes the disgrace of a nation and the anger of God.

This word is so prevalent to our nation and the body of Christ today. God asked Israel what He did to cause their fathers to stray from Him. Funny thing is.... He asked me the question. It broke my heart to hear this, because I had been so stubborn towards God several months too long;  mouth closed towards him; angry with Him because of the decision I made to put idols before Him. I traded in the reverence of God in my life for corruption and filth. God spoke to me, “Although you wash yourself with soda and use an abundance of soap, the stain of your guilt is still before me” Jer 2: 22.

God sent Jeremiah to deliver a warning to His people; People who were like prostitutes, adulterers towards Him and their spouses; foolish in their own minds thinking they were righteous and without sin against Him; false prophets and priest who abused their authority, not being led by the spirit but by the politics of positions God favored them to have; had eyes, but choose not to see and ears but, did not hear; the word of the Lord was offensive, with no pleasure in it. God said that since they choose to serve foreign gods in their land, he was sending a foreign nation to destroy them and serve in a foreign land.

For months I was dead, unable to hear from God, no desire to seek Him, only idle, and isolated. Although I strayed, God remained. He continued to extend His hand of mercy towards me but, I would spit in His face and slap His hand away. Just like in Jer. 2: 35 I would say, “I am innocent, He is not angry with me, and I have not sinned”. The only time I turned to talk to God was when I wanted something and after that I turned my back again. He continued to say “if you would only return to Me….I will not be angry forever, Only acknowledge your guilt-…” Jer. 3:12-13.

In the depths of my spirit, I hated being in this season. Pressing day by day, I wrestled  sit at His feet. I desired restoration but, wanted it to be sincere. Of course, plans became detoured and my purpose in life unsure. With the little desire I had left, I pulled away for people and responsibilities because I knew I was not in right standing with God.  Slowly, but surely, I was slipping into depression and didn't even know it.

Through this season, God continued to pierce my heart with His words, until one day I finally surrendered. I had enough. I was ready to repent with a sincere, godly sorrow that overwhelmed my being. I asked someone to pray with me. But it wasn't just anyone. She has that direct line to Christ. Not a game at all. She told me to confess and repent, while she interceded on my behalf.  It was humiliating to speak the disgrace that was coming out of my mouth... but then God spoke. Instantly I was prostrate before me and He lifted every burden. My soul had peace, my spirit restored, my desire back, and His mercy upon me.  God started speaking through this lady to me. My purpose assured, I had a task ahead of me that required obedience, transparency, prayer, and meditating on the word of God.

What's so funny is God confirmed everything that lady spoke earlier, that same evening during my quiet time in Jer. 31:22-35. " How long will you wander o unfaithful daughter?...This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel.......I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people......For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more." When I asked God to show me what to blog today....... He lead me to Jer. 5:7... Very humorous our God. #transparency

The book of Jeremiah was my warning and it speaks to the body of Christ today. God said that He would cure us of our backsliding if we would just admit our faults and turn to Him. But we live in a society where everything is expectable; holiness is not right, it’s played out; instead of power in prayer, you choose power in position; no reverence to God; attention whores; indulged with things, some hidden and others boastful in immoral, filthy pleasures.

The good news is that God has sent us a fair warning and extended His hand of mercy to us. He loves us and has only His best for us. He has all power to deliver and save. Just imagine, a few words, a single surrender to Christ, has the power to alter the direction of your life and your soul. We cannot carry our burdens alone. I encourage you to read the book of Jeremiah. This warning, in one aspect or another may be for you. Stop slapping away the hand of God, spitting in His face with your lifestyle full of wickedness and idols. We are not righteous by our own means; but, it is God who puts His righteousness in us, that we may live holy and free. Only by His grace and mercy………..


My lovely thrifted spring outfit was gifted and thrifted my sister Jasmin in Texas. My earrings, belt, and necklace are thrifted. The shoes are from www.shoedazzle.com and other accessories are from retail stores.

-Sheika, Team TT



No comments:

Post a Comment